Tuesday, September 21, 2010

First Impressions

If I thought I got on the plane in just the nick of time, I had no idea how timely my arrival was into Linz...


That first weekend in September, the city of Linz hosts an annual "Wine Festival." For 2 Euro you can buy a glass, and then at each tent you buy either a 1/8 or 1/4l. pour of their featured wines. The festival was packed with tents, people and plenty of exotic foods and wine. Among the many wines we tried, we exceptionally liked a South African cabernet from Capetown Winery. 
But that's not all...










My second weekend in Linz, and another festival. This one boasts more beer than wine; and had authentic foods like schnitzel and potatoes (which was delicious, by the way). One of the things I love most about these festivals is the authentic clothing. Men and women of all ages wear typical lederhosen and dirndls as casually as Americans wear jeans and a t-shirt. I sometimes feel like I travelled through time rather than across the Atlantic. 



Third weekend...you guessed it- a festival. This one I stumbled upon while running Saturday afternoon. It's located on the other side of the Danube river (what we like to call, "the dark side"), somewhat hidden from the city center and general tourist spots. We went down before dinner to check it out. A local band was rocking out and so were plenty of "Linz-ers" who clearly had their fill for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment