Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Urfahraner Market



The Urfahraner Autumn Market is the oldest and largest festival in Austria…and only 4 blocks from our apartment! So luckily for me, I got a whole week to dip into all that the festival had to offer. There was something for everyone- rides, games, restaurants, beer tents, food stands of almost any culinary creation, live music, shops, and more. It was like Linz’s mini version of Oktoberfest. 
On opening night, Reid and I walked among the chaotic crowd, including- families, overly energetic children, hoodlum teenagers, couples, elderly and everyone in between. We got some beer and watched the fireworks premier. It was a great show…but I have to say, it didn’t nearly match up to the 4th of July fireworks we have back home;)
I went back the next day with my friend Brandi, for some lunch, while sitting outside relishing in one of my favorite hobbies…people watching. If I thought the dirndls and lederhosen threw us back in time, the Urfahraner market at least brought up into the 80’s. I have never seen so many mullets, mohawks, leather jackets, and downright outrageous outfits so customarily worn in my whole life, and in broad daylight nonetheless.  I expected the lederhosen…but this??

Later that week a group of us met in one of the tents to enjoy the band and lively atmosphere.  I stayed in the tent while Reid was lured into those impossible carnival games. 
He did manage to come back with a gigantic panda bear and about 8 fake watches, so I guess that can be considered triumphant..


Something has to be said about the thrill rides here. You'd think mild carnival rides, like bumper cars, carousels, etc. Well apparently not at the Urfahraner, where "thrill" is no exaggeration. They spent over a month setting up these rides. I’d watch it slowly coming together each morning as I run passed along the Danube. A lot of hard work lies behind this event. Still, I’m not so sure I’d trust some of the rides that throw human bodies around like Nerf balls. 

The last night of the festival, (and the first night of my parent's visit) we took one last stab at the Urfahraner Market. We were feeling daring so we decided take our chances….on the Ferris wheel. Hey, it goes pretty fast!!





Overall the market presented another entertaining Austrian experience. And with it only open for 8 days, it’s no surprise that the festival draws over 600,000 guests each year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment