Sunday, October 10, 2010

October 6th 2010

Well, I had originally planned to write about another adventure out of Linz…little did I know this “day trip” would mark the beginning of a much greater journey. 
Now that I’ve told the story about 50 times, which is probably more enjoyable for me than anyone else, I might as well put it in writing...so let me start at the beginning.

We were on the road by 2:30 that afternoon heading for a town called St. Wolfgang, Austria. The overcast sky cleared up just in time for our panoramic drive through the mountains.  The views were so mesmerizing I hardly realized we had been driving for over 2 hours.  













We arrived around 5pm with the sun just beginning to set. It was a beautiful spot. I could see, then, why people traveled there just for the view. We parked and walk along the river until entering the quaint village of St. Wolfgang. Like many European towns, St. Wolfgang had narrow cobblestone roads, outdoor cafes, and tiny shops throughout. But the gentle tranquility of the mountains reflected on the town and set St. Wolfgang apart from all the others. As we walked through, I was amazed at how quiet and truly serene the streets were.  We did as we always do; walked around scoping out the different stores and restaurants while I continue taking too many pictures along the way.

Looking back on it, Reid was a little more direct in our typical aimless wandering than usual. He said “I want to take a walk out here” and headed towards the dock. We strolled to the end and simply appreciated the view. We were standing over Wolfgang Lake in the valley of enormous mountains, at sunset. Could we ask for a better setting?? (No, in case you didn’t pick up on the rhetoric).
So of course, it wasn’t long before my camera came out and started snapping pictures left and right. Reid suggested we take a pictures of us; I remember thinking, “Yah..why didn’t I think of that?” So we asked the nearest lady if she wouldn’t mind.  We took one…I’d like to call it “the before.”

We decided to take one more, and as I set the camera and went to give it back to her, I heard Reid say from behind me “Ok, seriously, don’t fall in” (which, he had joked about earlier). I thought the joke was getting a little tired…until…
I turned around to find Reid down on one knee. I’d elaborate on what I was thinking, but I’m pretty sure the shock wiped it from my memory.  I was overwhelmed with excitement and happiness (yes, and tears). I don’t know how long I stood there trying to fathom what was occurring. Reid helped me out- I think I tried hugging him (and probably taking the ring) when he said, “well you have to say Yes first” (apparently that one’s not a rhetorical question). YES, we were officially engaged.
(Luckily, the woman with my camera assumed we'd like the pictures) 


Afterwards we walked back into the square and went to the White Horse Inn restaurant, which is known as St. Wolfgang’s “legendary romantic hotel and restaurant”.  (here’s the link- http://www.weissesroessl.at/en-index.htm). The lounge was empty when we walked in. The waiter and bartender greeted us, and before they could ask what we’d like, I burst “WE”RE ENGAGED!” I had to get it out. I don’t think they understood at first, so I showed the ring and they said, “Ohhhh, we bring you champagne!”  We sipped champagne while Reid explained some of the background work he pulled this summer. I have to say, it was impressive.  I’m engaged to a pretty smooth guy.  (And I’m impressed with all of you who KNEW, and kept it quiet…Emily).
We then indulged ourselves in an elegant 6-course dinner there (no better time). We were seated at a nice table in the window near the live piano player. We witnessed quite a remarkable 5-minute wine presentation by our waiter after ordering a bottle of their Pinto Noir. Can you picture all this?? I fully understand why this establishment is reputable for its romantic ambiance.

Three hours later, after our last course of hazelnut soufflé and layered cake, we walked to the car. Finding our way out of St. Wolfgang was surprisingly easier than finding our way in. The first thing I did when we got in the car…call Mom. I don’t know who was more surprised, me…or my Mom. Her initial reaction was something like, “ha…What!?” (An excited and happy “what”). My Dad’s reaction was rather different seeing as he was expecting it. He said to Reid, ”I was getting nervous you hadn’t yet.” I then called my brothers (several times, since they are both impossible to get a hold of); they were also surprised and happy for us.
Reid’s family knew since the summer as well. (Again, impressive they didn’t spill- especially when Lori and Nicole were visiting NH this summer). They were all happy, excited and so welcoming; a family I’m fortunate to join. 
The rest of the night was spent calling family and friends to share the news. It was fun to retell and listen to each person’s initial excitement, over and over again.
The next morning I woke up, instantly looked at my ring and thought, “yup, it really happened.” Hearing all the lingo...”engaged,” “fiancé,” “wedding” is as familiar to me as my German (which is, “nicht gut”) so I know it will take a few weeks for the surprise to surpass and let it all blissfully sink in. 
My parents fly in this week. Reid planned accordingly (again- smooth) so that we could celebrate and enjoy the week with them. His parents visit in 3 weeks and the fun will continue!
We are so happy. Everyone’s enthusiasm, happiness, and support this week has made it all the better to share. We’re looking forward to a bright future, and of course, a very fun wedding!
Oh and I can’t leave out this detail- the ring is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!

9 comments:

  1. I cried reading this. It is seriously like a movie. And...the ring is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! I am so happy for you both!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Cashman family is blessed to welcome you Stef into our family! We also have fallen in love with you!
    Lori and Tom
    (We have come to grips with the fact that our grandkids will need speech therapy for the "r" issues that they undoubtedly will have. Oh well, things could be sooooooooooooooooooooo much worse!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog Stef. You have an incredible talent in the way you write! The way you describe things makes us feel like we were right there with you!

    You should pursue something with that :)

    I hope you are having a ton of fun with your parents! We will have to skype again soon. Much love,

    Annie and Brad

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!!! What a beautiful story...What a beautiful couple...What a beautiful ring...CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU BOTH!!!
    Love learning about Linz living..Great job!!!

    Love,Chuck & Priscilla
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Couldn't wish anything more for my best friend! Thanks for making Stef so happy Reid, you both are very lucky. Fun wedding indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cash - Maybe you two should come visit me in Washington and attend some of my bible study groups before officially getting married! Congratulations buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats you two! Come celebrate at HoolaHanks when you get back to the states!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Steph and Reid! This is Diane Belisle! We are all soooooo happy for you both! Reid, now at least Mike will stop bugging you about asking!!!! Just so, so happy for you both! LOVE the pictures and so, so romantic! I can't stop gushing for you both! I can't wait to show the blog and pics to Mike, Fritz and Cecil! Steph, you are most definitely blessed with a wonderful, loving, caring, kind and blessed new family! You will fit in perfectly!!!! Congratulations to all!
    Love and God's Blessings, Diane, Mike, Fritz, Cecil

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job Stef, the story and the pictures are beautiful....something you will be able to share with your own children someday!! We also want to congratulate our future son-in-law and to say "nicely done" and welcome to our family!! We had a wonderful time in Linz with you both, thanks for showing us the sights. It is obvious how much in love you both are and we couldn't be happier!

    ReplyDelete